Pages

Thursday 18 July 2013

Lightening Strike

Canadians have a particular fondness for talking about the weather and I'm no exception. The past few days have been pretty hot around here. This isn't news - most of eastern North America and the UK is baking in the heat so this isn't something you don't already know. Yesterday I think it was 40 C here (104 F). Not bad for the Great White North eh? Now don't get me wrong, I'm one of the ones who likes it hot but even I have to admit that this is a little much.

This kind of heat also triggers thunderstorms around here. Big, nasty thunder-boomers. And today was no exception.  About 2:30 we could hear the thunder rolling and by 3:00 we shut the internet down. And then the storm rolled right down the street. The noise was unbelievable - there were several lightening strikes very close to here and one in my front yard! My poor lilac tree has had a tough go of it. Drought last year, torrential rain this year and now its had a big branch blown off from lightening and another section incinerated on the tree!




Yes, they're slightly out of focus - I was just about carried away by mosquitoes (which are about the size of eagles this year from the rain).

I also have a new pair of socks.  The Strawberry Swirl socks that I was working on are now done.



I usually wear my new socks right away but I don't think I'll be doing that tomorrow.  Forecast high is 32 (90F) with a humidex value of 43 (110F).  I'll live without wool socks.

And as I was outside taking these pictures I saw this:

The storms aren't over yet.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely socks, gorgeous colours. The storms are something! The heat is oppressive, and I LOVE my A/C. Hope to see you in August, have a wonderful rest of July!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely socks, gorgeous colours. The storms are something! The heat is oppressive, and I LOVE my A/C. Hope to see you in August, have a wonderful rest of July!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I usually love storms, but I've never had lightning strike nearly so close to me as that! My boyfriend says that once his car got struck by lightning as he was driving down a deserted highway. I don't know how he hasn't been scared away from driving for the rest of his life!

    Hope the storms and the heat pass you by soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I'm glad it was your yard and not your house that got struck! The socks are beautiful, but I can see why you aren't anxious to wear them. :-)

    ReplyDelete