Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

Salsa

I planted 18 tomato plants in the spring and now I have a glut of tomatoes.  Due to the drought, a sudden burst of rain and then another dry spell, none of them are pretty - not the kind of thing you could give to your neighbours - almost all of them are either split or quite misshapen.  But they still taste good and are perfect for cooking where it doesn`t matter what they look like.

So Chuck and I decided to make salsa.  I needed 7 cups seeded and peeled so I figured my big colander would be enough.  I don`t know what the volume of this colander is, but it was heavy when I bought it back to the house.  As it turns out, I didn't need quite this many.


I cut an X in the bottom of each tomato, tossed them a few at a time in boiling water (not a dirty pot, just really hard water)


and then into cold water.  The skins are already loose and come off with very little effort.  In fact, it took longer to write this than to get the skins off.


I then chopped a large white onion, a green pepper, 5 jalapenos, a fistful of cilantro, a touch of cumin, a can of tomato paste and 3/4 cup of vinegar.  Tossed it all together and boiled it for half an hour until it thickened up to the right consistency.


Then into jars and into the canner for 20 minutes.  I got four 500 ml jars of it.  We had a few spoonfuls left over to sample ....if you like salsa, you gotta try making your own.  This is amazing stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment