Pages

Sunday 9 September 2012

Back in the Saddle

I'm not sure when the last time I did any serious spinning was...suffice it to say that it's been a long while.  The big issue lately is that it is summer and my hands tend to sweat.  Yeah - I know - more than you needed to know but in this case it has an impact.  I received a few suggestions for how to combat this (only spin in the early morning, drink more beer) but it didn't seem to work for me. 'Cause lets face it, if the roving is felting in your hands before it even gets to the wheel, it ain't gonna spin worth a darn.

But it's September now and cooling off.  Last week I bought some merino roving and today I was at Fibrefest in Almonte.  If that wasn't going to kick me into gear, nothing would.  So when I got home, I had a look at my wheel and decided that it was time to start again.  I dusted the poor girl off, and dug out some old roving that I had bought last year, shoved the cat off the chair and settled down to spin.

Now you have to understand, I'm not at all an experienced spinner.  I have a wheel and I know how to do it - and that's about it.  So after so long away, I wasn't too surprised to find that I had issues with my tension, the results were slubby and kept breaking.  I fooled around like this for about an hour when I decided to try one more time.  I got a glass of wine (at this stage, it certainly couldn't hurt) and tried again.

And it worked.




No comments:

Post a Comment