Pages

Thursday 17 May 2012

One Rogue Needle

Yesterday on the way home from work I had to stop and get a few things and while I was at the cash paying for my purchases I had an almighty struggle getting my wallet out of my purse.  I'm not sure how it happened, but my wallet got snarled up with my Indigo Montoya sock a.k.a. my travel knitting.  After a bit of a struggle in which the cashier must have thought there was something clinically wrong with me, I got my wallet out, paid for everything, and went home.

Today at lunchtime, I pulled my Indigo Montoya sock out of my purse and....I was missing a needle.  I emptied my purse of EVERYTHING and it still wasn't there.  I looked in little pockets where I know it can't fit.  I even looked inside my wallet.  Drat, damnation and all kinds of other things I can't repeat here.  To add insult to injury, it wasn't the 'spare' needle that I'm actively knitting with - no of course not.  It was one that was actually holding stitches!  Drat and damnation again.



Now, despite being seriously irked by this, it wasn't the end of the world.  I knit a lot of socks so I have more than one set of 2.75mm dpns.  At last count, I think I had 4, possibly 5 sets, not to mention the smaller 2.5mm set that I have that would certainly do in a pinch.  Nobody would ever notice if I substituted one needle that was .25mm smaller in diameter.  So that's a choice of 20 to 24 needles, (only one of which was really seriously bent so not really usable) so I could very easily find another needle and finish these socks.

But none of the others are HiyaHiya stainless steel needles.  I have aluminum from a variety of manufactures, and at least two sets of bamboo needles but none of them are as nice as these.  And my favourite LYS doesn't carry them.  They were an impulse purchase in Orleans - 110km from my house, and 10km from work.  The second choice alternate yarn shop doesn't carry them either.   The third choice is never open when I'm around.  So.  Either I suck it up and go back to Orleans, or order them online.


On the way home tonight, I had pretty well decided that I was going to have to go back to Orleans.  Again - this isn't the end of the world, but I do really like these needles.  I was also going to have to book my car into the shop - there is a manufacture's recall on a piece of the rear suspension (but honestly - if it hasn't failed in 8 years, I don't think it's going to go tomorrow), I need my brakes looked at and there is this odd little rattle that has started that I only hear when I'm turning.



 I'm pleased to say, I've found the source of the rattle.  And I don't have to go to Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment